Our first adventure was to go salmon fishing. We were fortunate to have perfect weather that really lasted for most the week. It was a lot of fun- just being out on the boat on a beautiful day was enough to satisfy. We caught mostly pink salmon; they put up a good fight, but are not the best to eat(at least, that's what I hear) so we threw them back. We ended up with three nice silver salmon(which is what we were going for) and took them to Jerry's to be filleted and packaged. Matt's family then took them home a few days later(good thing, too). I learned that this kind of fishing is NOT like fly-fishing. I think a few of us had bruises on our thigh from reeling. Matt won the award for catching the only king salmon.. too bad he was only six inches long :)
Teri and I did a hike one morning and it made me realize what an amazing place we live in. We both agreed that the pics with us in them were not to be posted anywhere... but here is some of the scenery along the way :)
There is one glacier in Juneau that you can actually drive to. Only a short hike gets you pretty darn close.. a longer one will actually take you right through the glacier or to the "ice caves". I really really hope we get to do this one before we leave. This is the Mendenhall glacier and it is one of the glaciers that is receding- which means it is melting faster than it's growing. There were a ton of icebergs that have calved off this glacier. Matt is holding a piece of glacier ice in one of the pics. The waterfall to the right of the glacier is called Nugget Falls. It was amazing. I feel like I say that a lot, but it's true. I really am going to miss this place.
We took a tram up to Mount Roberts where we then did a little hiking and enjoyed the sunshine while looking over Juneau at it's peak(no pun intended :)). Afterwards, I introduced them to the Crepe Escape where we indulged in pizza, taco and cheeseburger crepes(Teri, I forget which one you got).. Mmmm it sure hit the spot.
This is the point where I realize there is way too many pictures and words for just one post. The suspense, I know, is way too much for most.. but stay tuned and I can hopefully ease your worry soon.




3 comments:
How fun and lucky to have visitors!! I wish we could come visit you!
Can I have that green shirt with the moose on it? I'll even settle for one like it...and I'll even pay for it:)
Stacie! I'm sorry it's been so long since I've visited your blog! I'm so jealous of your Alaskan summer. I am definitely going to make it there next year.
You are missed here! Do you ever hear from Ashlee or Jill? How is school/work going? Anything I can send you from Utah?
Hey Shan! I won't let you send anything because I will just have to send it right back- we are coming home in just 1.5 wks! We are so sad to leave, but excited to see everyone back home. I don't hear much from the girls- but facebook keeps me up to date with them :)
Post a Comment