Saturday, May 1, 2010

Welcome to Alaska!



I know we are jumping past the wedding here, but I needed to post some pictures of Alaska! I was so happy to be able to arrange my finals so I could travel with Matt. We left this last Thursday(29th?)to spend our summer in Alaska where Matt got a job doing what he loves most.. besides me, of course :) We left from Salt Lake that morning- stopped in Seattle, Ketchikan, Sitka, then finally arrived in Juneau about 7pm. Here are a few pictures of our first glimpse of Alaska:


It was rainy and cold when we arrived. But really, how else would it be so green and beautiful? Matt's company picked us up and led us to our apartment, which is right downtown. Here are a couple pics of what we walked in to. I'll have to take some more after we get more settled.




Yesterday morning we took a walk downtown to try and familiarize ourselves with the streets. After a few wrong turns, I think we can at least make it back to our place as long as we find Main Street :)



Here is the governor's mansion, just down the street from us. My grandma has a picture close to this one(she lived across the street when she was young). I now know what she is talking about when she said there were tons of stairs to get home. Times haven't changed much Grandma! We definitely got our exercise here. Here are a few more pics around the mansion and across the street:


What a handsome fella

What a lucky girl.




And here is the reason for being here! Matt turns into a 9 year old boy when he sees helicopters.. its kinda cute :)


This is how we get back home at the end of the day. Jealous? Yes, there were times Matt had to physically push me up these stairs.


And this is practically in our back yard. There supposedly is an awesome trail just minutes away from us that goes around this waterfall. I can't wait to go(now that I'm in shape from all those stairs of course).

Here is our main way of transportation... okay, maybe just in our dreams. Another pilot drove this all the way from Pennsylvania.

And for all those who have been waiting patiently for our address to send us letters, gifts, money, etc... Here is our address: 700 Gold Street, Juneau, AK 99801 :)

8 comments:

Holly said...

Cool dudes! I am glad you made it safe...and that you get to mooch off of other people's internet!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you are blogging now so we can see your life in alaska! Can't wait to come visit :)

Kelli said...

Wow, I'm so jealous! Do you think my kids would miss me if I just lived with you for the summer? ;) And check out those stairs! It's like your own Buns and Legs of Steel. Ha! Ha! I'm so glad your apartment looks clean and livable. I was a little nervous...were you a little nervous?

one of these days were gonna set this cirus down. said...

Hey bonnie! Its whit. I found your blog from surfing around somewhere. and can i tell you i am so insanely jealous of your living in alaska. its like my dream. now if i could only convince hank to go with me. keep me posted with more pictures so i can be more and more jealous!

bgprincess said...

love that you see the "9 year old boy" emerge around the helicopters. it's great isn't it! these pix are awesome! put me in your visiting calendar for the second week in august. now i need to find a lucky inexpensive flight,

Matt & Stacie said...

Yay for visitors! I will have to request time off from the job I am GOING to get :) you should all SERIOUSLY consider coming for a visit. we have an extra room and we are right in the middle of everything! Kelli- you're kids could do without you for a week right? And Whit, just ditch Hank for a few days :) I was nervous about it, I really had no idea what to expect with anything but was pleasantly surprised. Even though the whole sharing an apartment thing isn't ideal, everything else here is like living in a dream..

A Journey for Three said...

Fun! and you're welcome for helping you find a job interview, i hope you get it!

Tori said...

can I come visit too. I can share a bed with Teri